Sunday, January 30, 2011

Wheel Around the Hub

This site was created to help me share information as I work on a book tentatively titled:  Beantown in the Cycling Era:  Boston and its Cycling Suburbs in the 19th Century.  I've done a lot of research at the Smithsonian and at Boston Public Library and other libraries and museums and this is a place to report the results as I work on the book.  If you have stories or other research information to share with me, please do so.


I've called this blog "Wheel Around the Hub" after an annual event starting in 1879 and extending at least through 1933.  Leading Boston Cyclists of the 19th Century were participants and wrote many essays and some poems about it.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I have been mapping this ride as I am interested in doing this, curious as to what you have learned about this? I do have a question. It looks like the ride ended in Brighton Center, would "Milton Hill" be the site of Saint Elizabeth's Hospital?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Brighton Center. They likely came back via Washington St . I see two "spurs" then one off to Cambridge and the other to Chestnut Hill Reservoir. If you want, include your email address and we can communicate further

      Milton Hill is a neighborhood in Milton.

      Have you seen a map of the whole route?

      I have mapped it out except for the route back from Milton to Boston.

      Delete